Sunday, January 3, 2010

Growing up, my ma used to take ash and me to the temple every Thursday. We would buy flowers outside, do exactly what my mom did-keep your hands together, wait till the poojari finished his prayers, put some money or flowers on the plate, take some Vibhudh and walk around the Idol 3 times. We took it really seriously, since mom would be like, "If you pray to this God, you'll be tall and beautiful", if u pray to this God, "you'll get really good marks". The only prayers I knew then and still do are my school prayers. Which is a Sanskrit prayer followed by a Christian prayer. I would say the prayers after which I would just speak to God, exactly like how I would to a friend. Sometimes we would go to the Church, not for the service but just go there, pray, light a candle keep it on a cross and leave. It was the same prayer , same positive feeling.

What I'm trying to say is, thats exactly how much I was taught about religion.My parents weren't particularly religious and I think me being a Hindu named "Mumtaz" says it's own long story. Having grown up around people who kept it to themselves or weren't as religious either, I didn't question it much but just happily attended a lot of Eid lunches, Christmas Dinners and Diwali pooja's.

In the last couple of years, for some reason, I've met people who are super-religious. Which is not a bad thing but just that for some reason I have this pre-notion/expectation that they should be really nice people. Most are. but I get really annoyed when I see that they carry a bible/Koran or any religious book with them 24/7, read it before going to bed or just when they wake up but are extremely mean,selfish and bitchy. Whats the point of all of it. I'm not saying that if someone is not religious or God-fearing you have license to be mean. But if they claim to be "Closer to God", fast whenever required and do their prayers everyday which are usually about forgiveness, love and kindness, I would think they would make an effort atleast even if it's not in thier personality to do so, to be nicer to people. What else is the point of it all ?

No comments: