Monday, February 23, 2009

Room Number One-Twenty-One ..

It's strange how two people who have nothing in common end up being big parts of each others lives.

This was how she introduced herself, "Hi.. Im from Cochin, I study in Stella, I was supposed to do engg thou, i go for kathak classes in the evenings, i have a boyfriend and this is my second year here, I was very close to my old roommate so i told myself ill not like the next person who moves in but I don't mind you".

We had no common friends then, no similar interests but still took coupons and decided to go have some hot horlicks downstairs. I never thought a day would come where we would mutually agree on something.

Her idea of fun was going to the Satyam,Landmark, Oxford, Vivs and the Beach and mine was going to gym, 21c, speed, family guy and ten-d. I didn't think a world existed beyond that.

If it were anyone else i would've been ignored or bitched about and we would've just been two people who lived in separate rooms next to each other. But she was different..fun, full of life, active and hyper, self-less, intelligent, caring, level-headed,independent, mature and a good conversationalist.
She could see through people and understand them in minutes. I admired her for that.I still do.

Eventually after hanging out with her..my Wednesday's became fancy dinner nyte's(Rs. 35 Al Najeeb biryani) instead of beer, Fridays became movies instead of the free shooters in speed. At times, we watched a movie and went for a drink after. I introduced her to Whiskey and coke :P

It was a brilliant phase. I became more organised and self-controlled while she became more experimental in doing things and little less scared of Warden. Even if I had the worst day ever...just coming back to hostel for dinner and a conversation with her made my day.

Over a period of time, I became a little dependent and possessive about her. I hated it when she did her internship in ABM cause I felt like her boss was stealing her away from me and when she had to go to her aunts house in porur over the weekend.

Almost a year since we've both moved out and to different countries, I like to say that we are still up to date with each others lives. I even know she went shopping with her aunt yesterday. The more I talk to her to more I admire her for the person she is.

I can never thank her for how single handedly and gradually, she made me realise I had much more potential in me, than I could have ever imagined.

I miss her



4 comments:

bhav said...

dont mention me anywhr okay....

Anonymous said...

I don't know how some women make me cry more than the men in my life... i miss you too :(

Unknown said...

very sweet post mumu... you guys should plan a reunion at Al Najeeb ;)

Anonymous said...

@ chawla... we are cooler than you dude :) we are meeting in Montreal in Summer :)